Of course if you are running VirtualBox or VMWare, you can simply run Windows
in the VM instance, run the VM instance in VirtualGL, and run VirtualGL in
TurboVNC or TigerVNC. That is in fact the supported solution for running
Windows 3D apps remotely using open source tools. WinVNC will not work well (or
at all) with 3D apps.

As to performance, TurboVNC is configured by default to produce the best LAN
performance and image quality for 3D apps, because that's its primary purpose.
To get similar behavior in TigerVNC, select compression level 1 with quality
level 8. Turbo still has multithreaded encoding and automatic lossless refresh
and a few other things that TigerVNC lacks, things which benefit 3D apps, but
Tiger has features like Xinerama that Turbo lacks.