Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chuck Harris writes:

However, I have never, ever heard of anyone that could prove to
do better than 1 cent.  Do you have any reference to your claim?  Perfect
pitch has always been something that has fascinated me, if only because
of the total unlikeliness of the whole thing.

I met a violinist some years back who suffered from a 440Hz tinitus on his
left ear.  When he tuned his fiddle after that, it was 440.0Hz measured
with a frequency counter.

Did you make this measurement, or were you just told of it?  What was the
repeatablity?

1 cent sharp at 440Hz is approximately 440.25Hz
1 cent flat     at 440Hz is approximately 439.75Hz

(1 cent at any freq = 1: 2**(1/1200) = 1.0005777895)

The pitch one gets out of an open A string on a fiddle varies more than 1 cent
depending
on how you support the neck of the instrument, how hard you bow the string,
where you bow the string, and what day of the week it is...

Even playing very softly, my violin is drastically louder than my tinitus.

-Chuck