I'm looking for a way to take GPS time and generate a signal that can be
recorded on the audio track of a video recording to time stamp it. This is so
it can be aligned with other data that's collected with GPS based time.  It
needs to be portable/small (i.e. Something you could attach to a small
camcorder, or such).

Seems that a GPS->IRIG B interface would work, but I was wondering if someone
has done this already (e.g. Someone must have made a IRIG encoder in a PIC or
similar)..

Another alternate is if something like a iPhone records accurate time with the
video stream. (another of the data sources is an iPhone recording something
else)

I think the basic requirement is accuracy to some few milliseconds (e.g. Frame
rate of the video)..

(It's for a high school science project, where they want to record various
things, and line them up.. I think they could deal with looking at the
timestamps over many frames to do interpolation)

Anyway, cheap and cheerful consumer gear is what is sought. (so no suggestions
of synthesizing SMPTE from the output of my Z3801 and feeding it to a RED
camera.. We're talking AIPtek and iPhone here..)

Jim Lux