Geoff,
I'm not in a position to check at present, but have also noticed
discrepancies in the time pips in the past. I'd not use a GPS receiver
for this, as they can easily indicate a second or so out. I use a GPS
Disciplined Receiver (HP Z3801A or Trimble NTGS50AA) for the job.

I suggest you talk to Dr Tim Armstrong (t.armstr...@irl.cri.nz). He's
the guy who looks after the official NZ time service, which is the
source of those time pips. The equipment is at Gracefield in a room with
three Caesium standards. He should be able to explain how the time pips
are distributed, and you may find (if you encourage him a little!) that
he is also interested in measuring their delivered accuracy as well.

Regards,

Murray ZL1BPU