Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

In message <4a309b30.7000...@sonic.net>, Rex writes:

My observation, from doing this several times, is that the cold water quickly absorbes heat from the red end, but also seems to chase a lot of the heat quickly up toward the cold end, making the bar rapidly uncomfortable to hold.

I've seen the effect you describe explained in an article somewhere,
very likely New Scientist or SciAm about five years ago.

When you rapidly heat or cool metals, very often changes in crystal
lattice structure is involved some of them resulting in quite drastic
changes to volume.

Heat is essentially atoms wiggling about, and when you change the
modes of freedom for the atoms, they may have to wiggle harder.

Thanks, that sounds like the most likely explanation I have heard. If you find a more complete citation, I'd be interested to hear about it.