From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffi...@xtra.co.nz>
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Sunday, 28 June, 2009 11:04:49 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPSDO project

Hal Murray wrote:
You want 66.6666 MHz from 10 MHz.

I can think of several approaches.

1) Patch the radio stuff to work with 10 MHz. Since 10 MHz is common from things like GPSDOs or Telco surplus rubidium clocks, somebody may have done that already.

2) Build a PLL. The first step is probably to find a 66.666 MHz oscillator that has an external fine tuning pin. Then it's divide by 20 and 3, compare, filter...

3) Get to 66.666 MHz by dividing by 3 then multiplying by 2 and 5. I don't know much about this area, but there was a lot of discussion here a few months ago. Check the archives.

Actually need to multiply 3.333.. MHz by 20 (5 x 2 x 2)
No need to multiply by 2 or 4, if the output of the divide by 3 is a 1/3
duty cycle square wave, one can extract the 2nd (or 4th) harmonic of the
square wave repetition rate with a filter.
Amplify and multiply by 5 (can use the same approach as used in the
5370A/B frequency multiplier chain (1 transistor per multiplier) and filter.

A high level injection locked divider can have lower close in phase
noise than a digital one.

4) Use a DDS chip to synthesize 66.666 MHz. Analog Devices makes lots of nice ones. One problem with DDSes is that they normally make spurs. But they aren't a problem if the target frequency is a clean multiple of the source frequency. 20/3 doesn't sound clean, but I'd have to do a lot of work to check the details. There may be a clean frequency that is close enough to 66.666 MHz and/or one that has spurs that are far enough out so you can filter them.

5) Use a low cost 66.666 MHz oscillator and live with the error. You may be able to correct any errors. The key step would be to feed the 66.666 MHz to a counter running off the T-Bolt clock so you know the real frequency of your 66.666 MHz osc. Suppose your 66.666 MHz is 73 ppm fast and you want to listen to 12.123 MHz. You would set the radio to listen to 73 PPM below 12.123 MHz.

Bruce