Fellow Time-nuts,

I have received several requests over the day for the OSA 8601 datasheets that I was fortunate to get from Oscilloquartz. They scanned their archive sheets and excused themselfs for making them large. Anyway, while it was not my intention to publish them, I asked my contact and he sayed OK, so I put them up on my webserver.

Here you go:
http://rubidium.dyndns.org/~magnus/time/oscilloquartz/8601/

In addition there is several other sources, where one nice is
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/1984/Vol%2016_10.pdf

If you look at the datasheet above you realize that OSA 8600 and OSA 8601 is really the same oscillator, which only differ in terminal connections. However, comparing the datasheet to the modern version at Oscilloquartz you see that there is quite a difference in the power consumption when heated, and running them side by side you can very easilly feel the difference. First I thought it had a broken thermo flask, which I had problem with on my OSA 8600, but no... it tracked up nicely and when I got to see the datasheet I could see this was expected. Phew.

But the material on the OSA 8601 is much more interesting than 4,5 W vs 2 W. Look at the gravity sensitivity plots, they are gone in todays datasheet. If you look at the PTTI article you also find f^-3, f^-1 and white noise separated numerically, which you really don't see often enought. Prof. Rubiola teaches how to do this... with and without credit cards as assitance (in lack of rulers at hand, not to pay anything).

An interesting note in the PTTI article is about the BVA having a lower gravity sensitivity, an improvement by a factor of 4 (see page 6).

The PTTI article is also interesting in how it discusses time-constants for cesiums and hydrogen masers. You also find the baking details there, as well in the datasheet material I brought up.

Anyway, enjoy. I am sure someone sees something much more interesting fact than I did.

Cheers,
Magnus

_______________________________________________
time-nuts mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
and follow the instructions there.

Reply via email to