Others have made good comments about zones. HP and Symmeritcom made lightning protectors for GPS, they use "N" connections - and I have bought a couple on flea-bay for reasonable prices.

I work repairing two way radio systems, we use Polyphasor protectors and they seem to do a good job. But if you take a direct strike, everything can burn up.

The biggest problem we have here is the soil is rocky, so we have to use multiple ground rods to dissipate strikes. We come off the tower legs and usually use two ground rods, one near the base and another 6-8 feet away for each leg of the tower. We also put ground rods around the shelter at each corner and this ground is tied into the electrical ground in the shelter. Then this ground is attached to the RF and telephone line lightning protectors and all radio equipment. When we have had to dig up and replace the telephone lines we also bury a #4 ground wire running beside the telephone lines and we attach it to the ground system.
Brian - KD4FM

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
Hi All,

I live in Hobart, Tasmania which has low level of thunderstorms -
average 2 thunder-days a year. However recently we've had a few and
I've begun to think about my GPS antenna on the roof on top of my TV
antenna.

A bolt on that could take out not only my plasma tv but potentially an
awful lot of time equipment that is precious to me.

For those of you in lightning prone areas, what precautions have you taken?

Regards,

Jim