Mike

Instead of relying on the dubious claims of those marketing an extremely inefficient jammer it would be better to actually do some simple calculations.

Typical commercial receivers stop tracking with a Jam to signal ratio of not more than 60dB or so:
http://www.gpsworld.com/gps/jamming-gps-778

The input signal level at the receiver input is around -160dBW.

A 1W ERP source with an isotropic hemispheric radiation pattern will exceed the the required jamming signal strength for distances less than several tens of kilometers.

This estimate is consistent with the fact that LO parasitic radiation from TV systems on boats have been known to jam GPS for distances of several kilometers.

Bruce

Mike Monett wrote:
   Chuck Harris<cfhar...@erols.com>  wrote:

   >  I guess the point you folks aren't getting is you can make  a very
   >  effective local GPS jammer that runs off of a 9V  transistor radio
   >  battery, and  will  last for several weeks. It can be  done  for a
   >  total cost  of  a  few bucks per jammer....  search  the  web, the
   >  designs are out there.

   >  Toss the  GPS jammers indiscriminately around  the  landscape, and
   >  you put GPS out of business for a very low cost.

   >-Chuck Harris

   I'm not so sure that would be very effective. A typical  9v alkaline
   contains about 900 milliamp/hours at low current drain.

   Two weeks  is  24 * 7 * 2 = 336 hrs. Assuming  100%  efficiency, the
   battery would  supply  0.9  / 336 =  0.00267A,  or  0.024  watt, not
   including the drop in voltage after the first few dozen hours.

   There are  quite a few commercial jammers  designed  specifically to
   jam GPS signals. These are extremely illegal, but they do  give some
   idea of the range that could be expected.

   Below is  a list of the specified range and power.  I  calculate the
   highest ratio to get the meters per watt.

   GMW12 Cellular&  GPS L1 Jammer

   Block cellular signals and GPS L1 system in the same time

   Jamming Range : Average 40 meters radius
   Output Power  : Total 6.5 Watt

   ratio : 40/6.5 = 6.15 meters/watt

   <http://www.tayx.co.uk/gmw12-gps-mobile-jammer.html>

   KYG0014 Fixed Jammer

   Output Power  : 2000mw
   Jamming Range : 15~20 meters

   ratio : 20/2 = 10 meters/watt

   <http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/204091726/Fixed_GPS_jammer.html>

   KYG0017 Powerful GPS signal jammer

   Output power : 25W
   Range        : radius 100-300meters

   ratio : 300 / 25 = 12 meters/watt

<http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/213377763/Powerful_GPS_signal_jammer.html>

   KYG0013 Car GPS jammer

   Output power : 800mW
   Range        : radius 10-15 meters

   ratio : 15 / 0.8 =  8.75 meters/watt

   <http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/204037628/KYG0013_Car_GPS_jammer.html>

   KYP0050 Handheld GPS/GSM signal Jammer / blocker

   output power  : 300mw
   jamming range : 2~10 meters

   ratio : 10 / 0.3 =  33.33 meters/watt

<http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/206648711/KYP0050_Handheld_GPS_GSM_signal_Jammer_blocker.html>

   The average ratio is:

   (33.33 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 12 + 10 + 6.15) / 6 = 13.16 meters/watt.

   The highest claimed performance is the KYP0050, with 33 meters/watt.

   Assuming the  9V  battery jammer has 100%  RF  efficiency  and equal
   ratio, the  jamming range would be 33.33 * 0.024 =  0.799  meters or
   about 2.62 feet.

   However, a  jammer  would   require   crystal   control  to  stay on
   frequency. There  are no crystals for L1, so a  multiplier  would be
   needed. The  actual power output would be much lower,  so  the range
   would be much less.

   Another example,  a 1500mAh rechargable pocket jammer has a  5 meter
   range, and only lasts 2~3 hrs:

   GMT04 Pocket GPS Jammer

   Jaming Range      : Average 5 meters radius
   Current&  Voltage : 200mA DC12V / AC120~140V
   Battery           : 1,500mAh

   battery life 2~3 hours, recharge needs 3~4 hours

   <http://www.tayx.co.uk/gmt04-pocket-gps-jammer.html>

   So a  9V transistor radio battery jammer doesn't seem like  it would
   present much of a danger.

   Mike Monett