From: Colby Gutierrez-Kraybill <co...@astro.berkeley.edu>
To: time-nuts@febo.com
Sent: Sat, December 12, 2009 7:29:17 PM
Subject: [time-nuts] 60Hz mains clocking in computers

I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether or not any computing equipment made
around the advent of UNIX systems (or any time-slicing system) used the mains
cycles of 60Hz as phase lock for the internal system clock.  My guess is that
perhaps they did not as the computing logic is DC based, but, I have memories
of using an 68000 based UNIX system that I thought had its internal clock based
off of the 60Hz mains...  Not sure the vendor anymore.

Thanks,  Colby