I agree. I have several Z3801A units for GPS timing and a rubidium standard, but I still like to use a simple scope triggered from the 1PPS output of a test oscillator to monitor the ticks from CHU on 7.850 MHz. I also use a circular sweep oscilloscope sweeping at 100 Hz, derived from a Jupiter GPS receiver 10 kHz output, to view the ticks. Having the machines and powerful computers is nice, but occasionally I like to see the signals as was done in the early years. It was not that long ago!

John  WA4WDL

From: "Justin Pinnix" <jus...@fuzzythinking.com>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 11:40 PM
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts@febo.com>
Subject: [time-nuts] Synchronizing to WWV

Hi Nuts,

Most of you have probably seen this before, but I ran across a great
1975-vintage paper on how to synchronize your clocks and frequency standards
to WWV's HF broadcasts.  The equipment needs are very basic - a clock, a
radio, and an oscilloscope.  The procedure is simple and far more reliable
than the tone-detection method I attempted earlier.

NBS Technical Note 668 - The Use of National Bureau of Standards High
Frequency Broadcasts for Time and Frequency Calibrations (
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/453.pdf)

Yes, I realize that GPS is literally a million times more accurate, but if
all you need is milliseconds, this will do the job cheaper than a GPSDO or it could serve as a backup. Plus it's a lot of fun to stare at the traces.
They are quite hypnotic.

Thanks,
-JP