Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Digital Clock kit - no Integrated circuits!

p...@phk.freebsd.dk said:
That is what was known as a "synchronous clock".  Tom has one running
off his atoms on his web-page...

When I was a kid, I took apart my share of clocks and/or clock radios.

They all had the same basic mechanism.  It was a shaded pole motor with a
semi sealed unit that included the first layer of gears. I never took apart one of the units. I assume the rotor had a permanent magnet so it would run
synchronous to the line frequency.

That was 50 years ago.