Rex wrote:
jimlux wrote:
Scott Burris wrote:
C&H closed briefly to move and is now open in Duarte:

http://www.candhsurplus.com/

At Apex, a friend tried to purchase a nose cone from a rocket, but they declined to sell it to him because they were making too much money renting it out to movie studios.

Scott

That is precisely the reason for outrageous prices at Apex. If it makes a good prop (spinning mag tape drives, panels with lots of switches and lights, etc.) then they can make hundreds of dollars a week in rental.

Maybe, I don't hang out in LA land much.

I went somewhere once and am pretty sure it must have been Apex - had the same random back yard. I found a couple big-ass bearings, close to 3 inch ID. I had some project in mind and they gave me a reasonable price, maybe $5 each, So, lots of stuff is over priced, but maybe if you browse a while, you may find some stuff that can be negotiated at a mutual advantage.

that's exactly it...no art director or set decorator is wandering through Apex saying "I wish I could find some 3" bearings"... they're wandering going "I need 3 of those big tall panel things with the blinky lights", and the Apex guys, say, no problem.. we'll deliver them to the set tomorrow for $100/week each.

So your bearings are cheap. Rocket nose cones are not.