Robert Benward wrote:
Rated for 1400V from CENTER conductor to shield, not shield to the outside. If you choose to use RG-58 with 250V on the shield then you will need to put the entire cable inside conduit. It is not acceptable to have any type of exposed mounting.

Bob

Yeah... I've been looking for the jacket rating... As a practical matter, I've used solid dielectric RG-58 (both A and C flavors) to carry 10kVrms AC (neon sign transformer type voltages). Usually, you don't get breakdown between center/shield.

However, considering that ordinary PVC insulated hookup wire is rated at 300V, I suspect it's ok.

Obviously, we're talking a transient here.. if you're floating the shield at 200V above surrounding objects/ground, a better solution is called for.

Interestingly, looking at MIL-C-17 (which covers coax)

There are several requirements for RG-58 (MIL-C-17-28)
Spark test: 5000V rms +10%/-0%
Voltage Withstanding: 5000Vrms +10%/-0%
Corona extinction voltage 1900Vrms minimum

Then, looking at the test procedures in Sec 4.8 of MIL-C-17G

Spark test (4.8.3) A test voltage at a frequency...shall be applied between the outermost braid or shield and the outer surface of the jacket.

Voltage withstanding (4.8.4) (a) For coaxial cables. The test voltage shall be applied between the inner and the outer conductor, with the outer conductor grounded.

Overall.. MIL-C-17 is a great reference on how to test coax (or to ask your coax supplier about how they test...)