On 07/24/2010 09:32 PM, Heathkid wrote:
Hello Bob,

What would you recommend? I already have three FE-5680A Rb standards
(which I'm quickly learning likely aren't worth the powder to blow them
to (*insert your own word here*). Okay, that was probably my first
mistake (thoughts?).

My frequency counter is one I built from a kit from aade.com that has
the TCXO option (although I had to tweak it myself so I have NO idea how
close it is to any accuracy or precision). I have access to some really
nice HP counters at work so that's my next step is to try one of those.
My DFD4 measured the output of one of my 5680A's to 10.000.007 MHz after
about a 10 minute warm-up. I don't know which one is off. Reading the
specs on the 5680A's before I bought them looked like they were pretty
decent. I'm learning...

It's the TCXO in the DFD4 which may "only" 7E-7 off.

The DFD4 isn't the right tool for measuring rubidiums with. Neat and all, it is not as good as needed. You need to get some better counter.

So, what "reasonably priced" Rb standard would you recommend?

Should my next step in this process be a Trimble Thunderbolt? Am I
starting over?

Thanks...

A Thunderbolt would be a nice addition... but do keep the 5680s. I can get them of your hands if you really need to... but that should be a hint to you...

Thunderbolt and some better counter is what you need. There are many counters which should be a good step in the right direction for you.
I still use my HP5335A despite I have much better gear around.