On 9/10/2010 7:26 AM, Ralph Smith wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2010, at 7:50 AM, J. L. Trantham wrote:
>
>> Loran was used as an area navigation method in aviation for many years.  It
>> was available nation wide with a number of chains.  I had assumed that the
>> area of interest was the Rocky's but if the Appalachians, even better.
> The site currently under consideration is in Colorado. Only problem with
> Loran, of course, is that is has been killed, thus the operative word "was"
> above. If the design and approach bears out it could be deployed over a much
> wider scale.
>
> Ralph
Even if LORAN was alive it wouldn't meet the requirement.  You'd still
have 20-30 M position uncertainty in a differental application - way
more than your 30 ns.   I thiink that dropping LORAN was a really big
mistake, but it wouldn't meet this need.   I used to see several 100 ns
of time drift and jitter when I was in San Antonio and watching Boise
City, OK (~600 Mi)

--
mailto:o...@ozindfw.net
Oz