Heathkid wrote:
Doesn't someone on here with a Ham license have a Cs standard and "could" put up a 1pps signal? Simply transmit your callsign within the 1pps (there has to be a way) and we have a non-Govt. time standard "if needed". A simple 1pps PSK-31 (or other digital mode) signal would probably work and be completely legal. Let's do this on our own and not rely on Govt. or GPS... Several throughout the world acting together (I'm not a programmer so someone could step up and figure out the logistics for a receiver) and we would have an alternative to GPS (IF/when it stops working).

a) broadcasts aren't legal for US hams
b) ionospheric uncertainty in the skywave path makes this no better than WWV
c) Whats wrong with GPS and/or WWV and/or CHU or whatever?
d) A cheap Rb would give you a local reference that is much better than what you could do with receiving something via skywave.

If you want something that isn't run by governments,and is a technical challenge, how about pulsars? I'd guess (not having looked into it at all) that is would be cheaper to set up a station to receive pulsars than to run a Cs standard.

While I fully sympathize with the "stand alone" approach (that's one of the appeals of HF comms in general.. you aren't depending on anyone else's infrastructure), I don't know that setting up a time standards station fits in with that..