Yes, it depends. Sometimes noise lowers SNR, sometimes it improves.

A similar scheme exists to improve ADC performance. If I remember it correctly, LTC owns a patent where they inject pseudo-noise with known properties, then the signal runs thru the ADC, then 'a picture of' the added input noise is removed (maybe in some form of the decimator).

Interesting and a little obscusing the brain.

I must add that I'm not running for ultimate precision (not really cost-bounded) but for simplicity. My ultimate is to have parasitic functionality converted in useful functions.

- Henry