saidj...@aol.com wrote:
Hi Ed,
excellent email. You raise the SNR of this forum!
Thanks Said. It's rare that I have a chance to contribute. Many of these discussions are way over my head, but I'm learning.
I have tried to measure the CW-12 output myself with phase noise and Allan Deviation equipment, and the constant cycle jumps prevent these from giving sensible results. Both PN and ADEV plots look awful, many orders of magnitude noisier than even an average oscillator. Glad to know that your 5372A could get the job done. btw: jumping cycles 200 times a second is not disciplining an oscillator, it's numerically controlling a frequency. Thus the CW-12 cannot be considered a GPSDO due to the massive 8ns phase jumps.
Absolutely correct. Navsync doesn't call the CW-12 a GPSDO. They explicitly say that the 10 MHz is a numerically controlled oscillator. They even have an app note on cleaning up the output. I was curious to see if I could use it as a 'new, improved' version of the Jupiter GPS receiver with it's 10 KHz output. Haven't gotten around to it, but I believe others have.

Ed

But for many apps such as driving a microprocessor clocks this may be good enough, even though one has to be careful that their internal PLL's can lock to such a noisy (jumpy) source. Of course the number of corrections per second should have a very strong correlation to temperature as the TCXO used on the CW-12 drifts over temperature. bye,
Said