Hello Ed,   Thanks for the definitive Microsoft reference.
I was wondering why NoSerialMice seemed to have no effect.

Stan, W1LE

On 5/11/2011 11:01 AM, Ed Palmer wrote:
Hi Stan,

According to Microsoft (who should know), NoSerialMice has never worked with XP. It's for NT. For XP use /fastdetect:COM10 or just /fastdetect to handle all com ports.

See:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

Ed

Stan, W1LE wrote:
Hello The Net:

Since my motherboard died, I want to transfer the T'Bolt to another computer. I am running XP Pro with a USB laser mouse and a USB to serial adapter to the T'Bolt.
The USB to serial adapter drivers are on hand and they loaded nicely,
with the computer setting the USB port to COM10.
System worked fine with Lady Heather on the original computer.

I tried using the mod to the    boot.ini file.    I added:

NoSerialMice:COM10       on the very first line.

To date I still have a conflict with the mouse

I can move the COM port assignment for the adapter, but I can not find what COM port the mouse is using.
The mouse does use IRQ 12.

USBView software does show which USB ports are used, but not the mouse COM port assignment.

How do I fix (permanently assign) the Com port used for the mouse, so there is no conflict ?

Thanks for the help,

Stan, W1LE     Cape Cod    FN41sr

ZZZZZz