I received my Symmetricom 58536A GPS antenna splitter today (new from eBay) and did some testing with my Datum 9390-6000, Datum TS2100, and Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt and TS2100 work fine with the splitter but the 9390 has some interesting behavior with the splitter. If the 9390 is connected by itself to the splitter, it doesn't report any satellites. However, if I then connect either of the other two receivers (Thunderbolt or TS2100) to the splitter, the 9390 will start picking up satellites. Then, if I disconnect the other receivers and leave the 9390 connected by itself, it continues to work. I tested this several times and it seems to be repeatable behavior. So as long as a different receiver has been connected to the splitter at least once, the 9390 works with it.

I'm thinking the initial surge of connecting the 9390 to the splitter is causing a momentary overcurrent which shuts down the antenna supply. In the "failure" case, the voltage measured (with a T) at the splitter from the 9390 is 0V. In the "working after a different receiver has been connected" case, I measure 4.3V. The other two receivers output 5V with no load and about 4.6V under load connected to the splitter.

Has anybody seen this before? The antenna is a Symmetricom AT575 type antenna.

-Bob