You forget that this "Fluke.L" guy's first design replaced three
diodes with wire jumpers to save the cost of three diodes.  The
builder is cheap beyond all reason.  To a guy who'd replace diodes
with wire $0.78 must seem like a fortune.

I'd use a 3.3 volt reg also  but in China 78 cents is what?  Half a day's pay?

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:48 AM, David VanHorn
<d.vanh...@elec-solutions.com> wrote:

> Vf is highly dependent on current and temperature.  The processor alone is a
> very dynamic load.
> I wouldn't trust it in a hobby project, and I can't imagine proposing it for
> a professional design.
>
> Without knowing much in details, a bog standard 3.3V regulator is $0.78 at
> Digikley, in singles.
> L78L33ABZ-AP
> If there are unusual requirements, then that might go up.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California