On 9/13/11 4:24 PM, li...@lazygranch.com wrote:
I think I mentioned this is a thread one before. If you are really interested
in position accuracy, you look up a calibrated point from the USGS that you can
safely and legally access, then take a reading. I say safely because many
points are in the middle of the street. Legally means no trespassing or you ask
permission.  My preference is to find one in a park.

Often, you can talk to the local city/county and find out where some accurate benchmarks are, typically on a curb. They are used to define street positions and such.

May not be accurate to centimeters, and you'll almost certainly have to convert from some state plane coordinates.