On 9/30/11 6:44 AM, Jason Rabel wrote:
Please don't start a political discussion, I just have a SIMPLE TECHNICAL
QUESTION that I'm hoping someone can answer (and I don't
think it was discussed in the past).

In all the stuff I've glanced over about L2, they talk about better filtering
for GPS modules to eliminate the interference issue.
Likewise they talk about potential replacement of existing hardware and such
because of poor filtering that overlaps into other
frequencies...

My question is...

To filter out the L2 signal, would an actual GPS receiver have to be replaced /
modified?

No

Or would a more simple and cheaper alternative be to get a new antenna (with
fancy filtering) to replace my existing roof-top
antenna and expect all my old equipment to be happy? Is that technically
possible or does it have to be on the receiver?

Yes
for that matter one could do fancy antennas that place a null on the interfering source.

Or even something in-line where I wouldn't have to replace either my antenna or
receivers... It would just look like an attenuator
that you stick somewhere along the cable?

Yes

---
everything is a compromise, of course. A filter that rejects frequency A doesn't usually have zero loss at frequency B; ditto fancy antenna designs.

If the interfering signal is strong enough, you won't be able to have an LNA right after the antenna, because the LNA will saturate. (this is the potential problem with your "in line" alternative)

The real issue is that these solutions take care of a fairly small fraction of the total GPS receiver population (e.g. it works ok for fixed timing receivers, but not so hot for size, power, weight sensitive applications)

They're also, potentially, fairly expensive in the aggregate ($100 of filters for 10 million GPS receivers is getting into serious budgetary area. And there's a lot more than 10 million receivers out there... I could believe 100 million, but probably not a billion)