On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:14:17 +0000
Miguel Gonçalves <m...@miguelgoncalves.com> wrote:

> The clock is set by sending an NTP packet and setting the clock with the
> replied timestamp plus half of the round trip time. In a local LAN this
> seems a good solution. I am not after micro-second accuracy as this is a
> clock and our eyes don't recognize anything faster than 50 ms. Even then I
> am aiming for 1-10 ms maximum offset with the NTP server.

if you want to be better than 10ms, you can just use the value you
get from the NTP server, raw, without any processing. The usuall
RTT values in a LAN (light or moderate load) is around 100-200us.
Ie if your NTP server doesn't take an exuberant amount of time
to respond (which it should not anyways) and your LAN is not heavily
loaded, you will be below 1ms in 99% of the time.

                        Attila Kinali

                -- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin