Chris wrote:

Motorola MPS-U51

I look up the spec in the mps-u51 and see it is a to-220 like case and
can handle 1W.

The Motorola "Uniwatt" case was not really comfortable dissipating one watt even in 25 degree free air (the book spec). I used them and their NPN counterpart, the MPS-U01 in a number of designs in the early '70s because they were the fastest medium-power transistors available. We always used them with board-mounted heatsinks (unlike the TO-220 case, which uses a lead frame and has sturdy leads, the Uniwatt has flimsy wire leads similar to a TO-5/TO-39 package).

Any switching transistor that will handle 1-2A and has an fT in the 50 MHz range or better should work fine. Note the EBC pinout. Today, I might replace it with a TO-237 device like the 2N6726/27/28/29/30 from Central Semi (same free-air power rating as U51, same pinout). But note, same optimistic free-air power spec -- I'd use a clip-on heatsink if I couldn't leave my finger on it indefinitely.

<http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Central-Semiconductor/2N6730/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutXGli8Ay4kEe1J5vCvqdNDTChj11qzcA%3d>

These seem to be EOL at this time, but still available. ZTX953/951/753/751 (Diodes, Inc.) and KSA928A (Fairchild) are TO-92 devices that also claim high dissipation. Again, use a heatsink.

Best regards,

Charles