Ed wrote:

So, for best HF noise performance where the input noise may be large, it's best to use a follower or shunt regulator topology, despite the lower efficiency - unless efficiency is more important.

To put it more bluntly, the last time I looked (it has been a while, so there may be something new I haven't seen) LDOs were all substantially inferior to standard regulators in terms of noise feedthrough and HF load regulation. The rule of thumb has always been to avoid LDOs unless low dropout was the paramount concern. Has something changed with current LDO designs to make them competitive with standard regulators in terms of noise feedthrough and HF load regulation?

Best regards,

Charles