On 3/5/12 2:31 AM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
Poul-Henning wrote:

That would make roll-out a matter not for governments, but for
airports, harbours and other interested parties, like for instance
DME.

Would this mean depending on private parties for precision timing and
positioning [using that particular system, of course]? If so, I'm not
sure that is such a good idea. Some endeavors do not lend themselves
readily to distributed responsibility....

But this kind of thing already exists in some ways. Consider that you hire a private party (a licensed surveyor) to establish property boundaries and such. Yes, the surveyor has a legal obligation to report their findings to the government (to the county recorder), but I've noticed that this isn't always the case.

And until GPS came around, the government was happy to establish a place where you could go and compare your clock to an official clock, they didn't feel obligated to dstribute time and frequency at high accuracy. (Where WWV isn't "high accuracy")

There's also ARINC, which is a private consortium owned mostly by air line companies (I think) to provide communications and nav services to airliners.