Shame you do not have a Hall effect probe to drag down the trace.

John  WA4WDL

From: "Magnus Danielson" <mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 4:58 PM
To: <time-nuts@febo.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Anyone familiar with SR-620 repair?

On 03/23/2012 09:30 PM, J. Forster wrote:
I should have added that you can get a pretty good idea of whick branch on
a PCB is drawing current by probing along the trace. This is especially
useful if the rail has a bunch of branch distribution lines.

Also, if the three-terminal regulator is overheating, disconnect it and
power just that rail from an external, current limited supply of a volt or
two. That way you don't risk trace damage.

I would toss the TDR on it just for the fun of it, but a miliohm measurement should also help to locate it. Otherwise if there is no direct evidence (hot cap or other chip) lifting legs of caps on speculation can be a starter.