On 04/ 1/12 03:33 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 4/1/12 3:01 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
On 03/31/12 09:38 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

I don't think so. Yes, they're only rated for 500 cycles, but there's a
paper by a guy at Maury Microwave that I ran across when trying to get
statistics on the reflection coefficient variation, and he set up a
automated rig to mate/demate SMAs something like 10,000 times.

I suspect that the jig he built does a better job of aligning them than
what humans do. We put them on not quite square, move them around until
the thread mates etc. I wonder if his jig tried to replicate a human or
not?

Nope.. back and forth in a straight line. He was measuring repeatability.

So it tells us nothing very much about the life of them in normal use, with a human mating and demating them. - or even the repeatability of the reflection coefficient with a human in the equation.

dave