El 02/04/2012 16:14, J. Forster escribió:
If the FTL neutrino "discovery" had been kept quiet until fully vetted, he
probably would not have had to resign.

I suppose so... Also, things would have been completely different if the 60ns error would be of the opposite sign, that would lead to the believing that neutrinos are a bit slower than light and not a bit faster. This of course would also have been of big impact in the physics community, but not so big :) and also would not have take even a single line in the newspapers and other media, except on the specialized ones. Anyway, I think that it was keep quiet during some time and only made public when though that it was fully vetted... but as we have seen a couple of details were overlooked.

In the positive side, as Javier Serrano said, it has been the first time that neutrino speed has been measured with this precision.

Regards,

Javier