On 4/26/12 10:46 PM, cfo wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:58:26 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

On 4/26/12 1:24 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

albertson.ch...@gmail.com said:
2) The IDE is written in Java and is portable.  It is truly identical
on all platforms.  Yes it uses gcc but the end user never has to deal
with gcc or even know what gcc is.  Same with saving your code, hit
just puts it "some place" and keeps track of it

Do I have to use their particular style/GUI?  Or can I drive it from
make, mixing in pieces I like?

How is the documentation on the tool chain and libraries?  Are their
good man pages?

The Arduino IDE is NOT make compatible, as far as I know..

The Arduino IDE is basically an advanced JAVA Editor , that hides avr-gcc
for you.

The IDE part is that it knows how/where to include/look for the CPP
libraries.

It's not like a gcc toolchain where you have a separate compiler,
linker, binhex, etc and utilities..

It uses a 100% standard avr-gcc toolchain as "backend" , and just creates
the commandline call for using that.
So avr-gcc , avr-as , avr-ar , avr-objcopy etc. are used "behind the
curtains".

Fascinating..

Are avr-* also java? Or are there just binary versions that run on all platforms?

The other advantage is that there are so many premade/downloadable
libraries out there , that you can make : ie. a PID controller wo.
knowing much about PID. And you can add a Temp sensor&  a LCD wo. ever
having opened a datasheet.

The disadvantage is that due to the "hiding/hw-abstraction layer" , the
generated standard librarycode tends to be slow.
But in many cases ie. a DS1820B temp sensor can only make a measurement
every 700 ms. So who cares if the 16Mhz "was able to" query it 1000 times/
sec , in optimized C.

But absolutely nothing prevents you to , combine your own "Optimized C /
asm" code , with the arduino libraries. And get the best from both worlds.

Very useful to know..

I must say that the IDE hides it very well..
(which I guess means they did a good job... Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the Arduino, although I would like a way to set breakpoints and look at variables for debugging... but hey, printf works)