In message <cabbxvhuasdq-mwug6fmwc4ln-d3zkhegvpvvbpcprwxewgf...@mail.gmail.com>
, Chris Albertson writes:

>You are mixing recording and distribution.  The 16-bit 44.1K "CD
>Quality" is for distribution to consumers.

I'm old enough to have listend to comparisons when 16 bit 44.1KHz
was _both_ recoding and distribution format :-)

As I said: one of the main drivers for oversampling is to relax
requirements for analog and clock precision.

>What you get
>is something that was modified to sound good on consumer playback
>equipment.  With "good" being the engineer's person opinion.

Or in the case of an entire generation worth of european classical
recordings:  "good" being equal to "Karajan can hear it through
his increasingly severe deafness" :-)

p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956