On 7/2/12 6:19 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
In message <4ff19d3c.4050...@earthlink.net>, Jim Lux writes:

which is an interesting thing.. if instead of DST (for which I think
there's little practical reason to have in the first place).. say you
just shifted the clock one minute earlier or later each day, gradually
moving it to the new alignment relative to solar day.

Why bother ?

Just make everybody use TAI and make T-O-D alignment a cultural
thing rather than a numerological superstition ?

I agree with you, P-H...

but if we ARE going to establish artificial connections between wall clock time (work hours, store opening times, bar closing times, etc.) and the sun, why not do it gradually. People are used to accommodating small deltas in time (e.g. my wife, who sets the dash clock in her car 10-15 minutes fast) and periodically readjusting to personal preference.