I thought about doing that but I did not want to spend a lot of time experimenting fruitlessly.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Merchison

On 2012-07-05 11:19 AM, Burt I. Weiner wrote:
Many years ago I had one of these antennas that I used with a Gertsch RLF-1 WWVB receiver. When the Nuvistors became old and feeble I decided to change the 6CW4 Nuvistors to FETs. Being young and foolish and thinking this is basically audio, I went to Radio Shack and got some N-Channel FETs and stuffed the FET's leads into the appropriate Nuvistor socket pins: Gate to Grid, Source to Cathode, and Drain to Plate. As I recall, I had to add a wee bit of capacitance to make it tune back down to 60 KC - back then I didn't know from kHz. I made a voltage divider inside the antenna's junction box to get the higher voltage down to what the FETs wanted. It ran fine for the remaining 8 to10 years that I used the RLF-1's. I forget where the antenna went, but it may still be in use somewhere. At least I hope so.

Burt, K6OQK