On 09/01/2012 02:17 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
On 09/01/2012 08:35 AM, Hal Murray wrote:
The context is using the 60 Hz line for timing.

I'm feeding 60 Hz from a wall wart transformer into a modem control signal
that the kernel PPS stuff watches.  Mostly, it works as expected, but
occasionally, it picks or drops a cycle.

In order to understand what was going on, I fed the same signal into the
audio input and setup a job to capture the audio. Here is an example of a
pick:
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Aug-09-a-pick.png
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Aug-09-a0.png
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Aug-09-a1.png

OK, that somewhat makes sense.

Something happened several days ago. I used to get picks/drops rarely, say
ballpark of 1 a month.  Now I'm getting 10 or 20 per day.  So I started
looking closer.

I'm now seeing stuff like this. I've got lots and lots of examples. I added
a second PC with different hardware.  It sees the same stuff.

Does anybody recognize this?

http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-a0.png
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-b0.png
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-c0.png
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-d0.png
http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-e0.png

It's interesting to notice that you have about the same distance from the middle in all 5 examples. It's like you trigger a diode drop for a while. Notice that there is a small slope towards zero.

I have noticed many stalls in Windows lately, possibly the result of Flash and Firefox not getting along.
The first plot suggests a multitasking related problem.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     c...@omen.com   www.omen.com