I've seen lots of halogen power supplies which use cheap switchers too!

On 9/16/2012 8:55 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

The thing that makes the CFL's nasty for lab use are the cheap little switchers
built into them. Conventional LED lights also have cheap little switchers in
them. Doing them with a 30% efficient linear regulator gets you back to halogen
type lumens per watt...

Bob