azelio.bori...@screen.it said:
> And don't forget those NTP people. BTW, is there an NTP packet exchange
> example? That is, what is the typical "conversation" between an NTP server
> and a client?

What are you looking for?

The wikipedia page is a good introduction:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

NTP is a big sub-set of time-nut activity with an active community of geeks.
I think any time-nut documentation should point to other info rather than
duplicate their activity.
  http://www.ntp.org/

There is also PTP, IEEE 1588

The basic NTP "conversation" is the typical client/server exchange of a pair
of UDP packets. tcpdump will decode the contents so you can easily use it to
get a quick introduction.  (That's assuming you have a system running NTP
that already generates the packets.)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.