@Azelio: Yes, (like Bob told) it's the phase lock, that locks the two maxima. Actually the counter is able to look between the 60ps spaced towers, have a look at the pictures in the first mail of this thread. However, there is a smallest time value the counter can determine, but it is much smaller than 60ps.

Volker