Chris and all,

It seems to me that a lot of the new software is being developed by people who don't live in the real world or don't use the end product in the real world - or maybe not at all. Maybe I'm just old and senile, but a lot of the stuff I'm seeing is not intuitive, stable or even consistent.

Is the State of The Art exceeding the state of the need?

Burt, K6OQK

From: Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>

Subject: Re: [time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion- Next Question

Funny that those "toys" that come with Linux pretty much run the entire
Internet and every Android phone and almost every TV set top box and
firewall/router.     But in the end as a developer you either follow the
market and the dollar or you do what your boss pays you to do.   What tools
are needed anyway but a few terminal windows and a text editor?

Anyways the hot market now if you are chasing the dollar and customers is
phone apps.  That is what users want and that is who the companies are
hiring.   I'd really like to see SDR move to phones and tablets.   It would
make them even more portable.   These phone now days have quad core 32-bit
CPUs and GPUs that can be tapped for compting power for thing like FFTs and
other DSP.

As for development tools, there is no shortage.

We also need some new ideas.  So muct SDR software tries to emulate a
1980's radio.

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.