Hi Attila,

I gather you did not fully read the paper ?

In normal CMOS circuits, the higher the oscillator frequency the higher the amount of current drawn to reach that higher frequency. So, the two oscillator system was used to keep time and "wake" up the higher frequency oscillator (for example the 12.8 MHz) when the radio was in operation. When not in operation just the lower frequency oscillator (32 KHz) was used to keep time and provide a "wake" of the microprocessor and the higher frequency oscillator needed for the radio operation.

This paper presents a circuit topography that allows the low current operation at a high frequency (12.8 MHz) thus reducing complexity. This in turn allows the design and manufacture of a radio system using one crystal oscillator at a frequency of 12.8 MHz (example in the paper) with the low power advantage that previously required two oscillators.

Bill....WB6BNQ

Attila Kinali wrote:

Hi,

While reading up on oscillator circuits i stumbled over differential
oscillator structures (see [1] for example). But sofar i have been
unable to figure out what the exact advantages of a differential
oscillator strucutre in general are.
Would someone here be so kind and give me some hints where to look?

Thanks in advance

                        Attila Kinali

[1] "A High-Stability, Ultra-Low-Power Differential Oscillator Circuit
for Demanding Radio Applications", by David Ruffieux, 2002
http://www.imec.be/esscirc/ESSCIRC2002/PDFs/C02.01.pdf
http://www.imec.be/esscirc/ESSCIRC2002/presentations/Slides/C02.01.pdf