The target is 4ns, while ideas seemed to be clear at some point, now I'm
having doubts if better to use a MOSFET or a bipolar transistor
as the switch element. Experiments with MOSFETs presented me some difficulties charging the gate capacitance having some trouble to achieve something in the 4ns region. Well 4ns seems hard whatever device anyway.

I have seen recently two kinds of devices for similar task: MOSFETs and avalanche breakdown transistors. Try the second ones, might be a good fit if the pulsing is not very frequent (say, kHz range).

Regards,
Marek