On 24/03/14 07:12, Hal Murray wrote:

mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org said:
I did a temporary hack on the PID code to convert the D-term into I^2  term,
by integrating the integrator output. First attempt was indeed  quite
resonant just to show that I was in the unsafe region. Backing  down on the
strength of the component sure did remove much of the  resonance, but I did
not see any appreciable improvement in filtering  performance, so quick and
dirty hacking isn't sufficient, darn.

Maybe it isn't sufficient to make a great GPSDO, but it's more than
sufficient to point out the advantages of Tom's simulation setup.

Thanks Tom.

Did some home-work on third-degree PLL parameters, so now I know why I failed, as I never tried to do it right.

One thing that Tom's simulator isn't doing is calculating the parameters for the PID for you, or backwards what characteristics you will get.