On 5/31/14, 5:48 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

A thousand chips at $1 a chip is a very different thing than a thousand chips
at $100 a chip. The next issue might be that they only have them in die form.
The issue after that probably is that you really want the version 3 (or 9)
chips that actually work with all the modulation schemes. I’ve been down the
road with a number of similar chips that took *many* rev’s before they really
did what they were intended to do. Many millions of dollars a pass times 3 or 6
passes is an whole different world …..

These days, though, the "per spin" cost is substantially lower, and the number of spins has been reduced, assuming you're forking out the many $M /year for the design tools. I've been given to understand that an RF ASIC spin in CMOS (which works up to low microwave frequencies) is around $100k and would get you a wafer of dice.