Is anyone paying attention to all the chatter about the lost aircraft MH370, Inmarsat's supposed flight tracks based on 6 or 7 pings (1 per hour), the Doppler shift (BFO) and transaction timing (BTO) etc??

Basically from my perspective they are putting too much stock into the Doppler which relies in part upon the stability of the satellite terminal in the 777 aircraft. My question is how stable an oscillator (reported OCXO - not confirmed) would be under the extremes of either or both a cabin fire or decompression event. There is a website (Duncan Steel Blog) where some math brains are trying to sort out the raw data provided by Inmarsat. They have made assumptions about the stability of the local oscillator in the satellite, but I think the aircraft satellite terminal's master oscillator is a variable they have pushed aside.

--
Joe Leikhim

Leikhim and Associates

Communications Consultants