Hi Hal:

Yes for level shifting.  Most micro controllers have the UART built-in so
that's all that's needed.
I haven't got my boxes so don't know what chips are in them.
Mail_Attachment --
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.prc68.com/I/DietNutrition.html
Hal Murray wrote:
bro...@pacific.net said:
UARTs are not mandatory, a simple transistor level shifting circuit is all
that's needed for TTL/RS-232 levels.
I think you are confusing UARTs with level shifters.

In the old days, transistors were expensive enough that a 68000 class CPU was
all that could fit on a chip.  All memory and peripherals were off chip.

While not quite mandatory, most of the time it made sense to use a UART chip.
  If you had a FPGA, you could put a simple UART in there.  (But back then,
FPGAs weren't very big either.)  If the CPU was idle, you could bit-bang
things.