Hi:

The Twisted Johnson Ring Counter may be the one your looking for.
The individual stages are not clocked at the input frequency, but rather
something like N/5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_counter#Four-bit_ring_counter_sequences
It's decodes using 2-input gates.
The last one I made used the 723 F-F from Fairchild.
http://www.prc68.com/I/comp.shtml#Lamp

Mail_Attachment --
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.prc68.com/I/DietNutrition.html
Tim Shoppa wrote:
Yes! I did find a patent that illustrated the exact same feedback circuit
as in the EE times article. But most self-decoding ring counters in
mass-produced applications use simpler lower propagation-delay gate
arrangements to ensure the counter self-corrects any defective sequences.
e.g. look at how the CD4017 does not use a 10 input NAND gate!!!

Tim N3QE

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Said Jackson via time-nuts <