Hi Paul,
the phase modulation would interfere with the AM, since during the phase change the narrow band crystal filter's output will sink down as the filter is following the phase change, and the time needed for the filter to "swing in " to the new phase it depend on the angle of the phase change angle, for 180 degree it is 2 x [1/f] x Q , [1/f] x Q needed to "swing on" and the same time to swing down from the old phase. [[Rohde&Schwarz's old Q meter is based on that, it counts the zero crossings until the level of the signal sinks to ....]] and that causes an additional AM modulation, if the quartz filter of the clock is not so good, the [1/f] x Q time is shorter and the filter after the demodulator does not let it pass the amplitude change, thus the cheaper clock works better, until one switching mode power supply takes over the control from the WWVB....
73
Alex