At least with a Tbolt,  they do help... and quite a bit.   When I was writing
Lady Heather's precision survey code I tested it with several antennas
(comparing the results to a cm level L1/L2 survey).  The Leica antenna and a
couple of other survey grade/choke ring antennas were,  by far,  the best
(results with a foot or so).   Cheap patch antennas were the worst (with maybe
5 foot errors).

Some small L1 only survey grade antennas did pretty well... a couple of feet.
They are about 6 inches in diameter and and inch thick and very light.  I use
one as my standard antenna.