Attila,

On 04/29/2015 10:43 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
Moin,

I recently discovered openEMS[1], which is, very simply put, a fancy
antenna simulator. I played a little with it and thought about
trying to optimize an GPS patch antenna design for timing use.

Will take it for a test-drive to see how it align up to NEC2 and variants.

But I had to discover that I actually do not know what to optimze for.
There are many paramters I can think of (RHCP/LHCP, symmetry of
gain, feedpoint impedance vs frequency, stability of phase centre,....)
which all seem to be to some extend important, but which ones do actually
matter for the timing reference performance?

My google skills failed to locate any relevant documents on this topic.

Could someone be so kind and give me some pointers, what to search
for, documents or the like?

The thing that we care about is:

1) LHCP surpression
2) Directivity/ surpression of signals below say 5 degrees above horizon
3) Phase stability with regard to azimuth/elevation
4) Relatively flat gain above 5 degrees

Do read up on the Novatel pinwheels, as they illustrate the various concerns and how they do that in a new fashion.